Thursday, July 9, 2009

Media Bias

I was single for a very long time (until I was 39) so I'm very aware how the media portrays men.

Here is an example of the bias in today's media.

KXLY-TV reported Tuesday that 28-year-old Summer Nelson, of Post Falls, was charged Monday with four counts of lewd conduct with a child.

Court records say Nelson was a friend of the boy's mother. Police say the abuse was reported in December 2008, after the boy's mother grew suspicious of Nelson's attention toward the boy.

Investigators say Nelson told the boy's siblings that she was in love with their brother. Detectives say Nelson and the boy had at least four sexual encounters.

Now, imagine if the sexes had been reversed, what do you think the headlines would have been?

What charges would a man be brought up on if 4 times he had sex with a 14 year old female? Do you really think it would have been "lewd conduct"?

Go back and review all the publicity surrounding the female teachers having sex with their male students...then look at male teachers. See the difference?

What do you think? Is there a bias in the media, in the general population?

Please join the discussion



1 comment:

tom said...

Of course the sentencing would be different, but, more importantly, where were all these abuser women when I was 14?

I had to grow up without internet porn and without hot teachers and friends of my mother seducing me. Doubly robbed!

:-)