Nonfatal firearm-related violent crimes, 1993-2005
Year.........Incidents..........Rate per 1K...............%.........Homicide Rate
1993......1,054,820....................5.91....................11..................10.11994......1,060,800...................6.0......................11.....................9.6
1995.........902,680...................4.9......................10.....................8.7
1996.........845,220...................4.6.......................10....................7.9
1997.........680,900...................3.6.........................9....................7.4
1998.........557,200...................3.0.........................8....................6.8
1999.........457,150....................2.5.........................7....................6.2
2000........428,670....................2.4.........................7....................6.1
2001.........467,880...................2.3.........................9.....................7.1*
2002.........353,880...................1.9.........................7.....................6.1
2003..........366,840..................1.9.........................7.....................6.1
2004..........280,890..................1.4.........................6....................5.9
2005..........419,640...................2.0........................9....................not listed
So, does it really look like there is Increasing Gun Violence?
Mike asked:
Is this guy and his newspaper a shill for the anti-gun movement? Do you think these stats are cooked, as they say?The numbers aren't cooked, there are that many deaths per year, but the population is increasing each year. Firearm related crimes are falling or holding steady each year. So why do the gun control advocates continue to try to scare people with increasing gun violence?
Another point to consider in this is the fact that more and more states are relaxing their restrictions on concealed carry. Now, if firearms are the problem and more people are carrying legally and firearm related crimes are going down.....what does that say about the truthfulness of the gun control crowd?
11 comments:
Also one needs to factor in that he has a book to sell.
Hardly would sell many of his books if he presented the numbers the same way you did, Bob.
BTW Estonia has MUCH less murder than the United States, Therefore Estonia must be safer! (heh)
Now who's cooking the numbers, Bob. The post I made and the article I quoted were talking about non-fatal gun violence IN ADDITION to the fatal stuff we all know and love. You conveniently left out the fatal numbers to make a better argument. Actually, it would have been a good argument if it hadn't been the response to my post, but as it was that, you were comparing apples to oranges and calling them oranges.
MikeB,
Wrong, Wrong,Wrong.
You failed reading comprehension.
Admittedly the title has Non Fatal in it, but there is also a column for HOMICIDES.
Both the Non-Fatal and the Fatal firearm related rates are trending down.
Once again, the numbers show the true story and not the spin the gun banners would like to see.
It says their truthfulness isn't, shall we say, so truthful.
MikeB likes the stick-and-move tecnique. He did the same when he still commented on my Blog.
You make an observation, he raises an objection. You thorughly refute the objection, he disapears.
When he reapears it's like the argument never existed and he restarts at square one.
Meanwhile over at his blog, I appear to have "Special Moderation Status".
He seems to be upset that I'm pointing out that while he calls for stricter laws, decreased "Availability", and "Shared Responcibility", while in the US he owned guns illigally.
Obviously guns are so easy to get in this country Mike needed to break the law to get them.
Oh and I MUST be doing SOMTHING illigal...just 'cause.
Weer'd, You know very well that I don't get upset about you pointing out anything. But I've had enough of your gratuitous insults, your name calling and your mischaracterizing what I say. That stuff will no longer be published on my blog. Your clean comments are always welcome.
MikeB,
Why not address the points raised in this post?
Non-fatal crime rate-trending down
Fatal crime rate -- trending down.
Now how does that match up with the INCREASING VIOLENCE claimed?
Be careful Bob, you might get hit with the banhammer too for "mischaracterizing" MikeB's lack of answering as avoiding the question.
Instead your direct question was simply rhetorical!
LOL!
That would be quite a feat for MikeB to break out the BanHammer here on my own blog :)
Sooo, apparently refuting arguments and making observations is equivalent to gratuitous insults, name calling and mischaracterization? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
No Pistolero, Bob and I were callous jerks by pointing out the multiple things MikeB says that aren't exactly true and calling him the coarse name of "Liar".
We really should be ashamed of ourselves.
I mean we ARE responsible for gang violence in the inner cities just because we want the gangs cleaned up and lawful people to be able to protect themselves, can't you see???
Post a Comment