Saturday, June 27, 2009

One of a thousands

The reason I love my wife are too many to list but this evening provided an example of one of them.

We were discussing going to see a chick flick tonight (The Proposal) since we saw Star Trek last week.

Looking at the theater options and times, I noted the earliest possible time was at the local AMC theater that prohibits lawful concealed carry but other theaters were only 30 minutes later.

The missus said "We can go to one of the other theaters so you can carry." No fuss, no muss, and full understanding of what I believe.

I would have gone to the AMC if she wanted to, but I won't patronize them if I can avoid it.

Those who don't support our rights don't deserve our money.

The conversation goes to show how incredibly blessed I am to be married to her.

Update - Weer'd ask about "binding signage" in the comments. The most common form of legal prohibition is


Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) states that a sign must meet the following requirements:
1. includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
2.
appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
3. is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following language:

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06,
PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN)
A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS
PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

"CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06
DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO UN ARMA DE FUEGO."

4 comments:

James R. Rummel said...

Good post.

James

Weer'd Beard said...

They have binding signage there?

Here in Mass they don't. I some times chuckle at them as I walk in.

But I don't give places like that money if I can help it.

Bob S. said...

Weer'd,

There are 2 basic binding signs in Texas.

First is the 51% sign - any establishment that derives 51% of its income from alcohol sold to be consumed on site has to post that sign and CHL is prohibited. Mostly bars, but sometimes place you don't expect it. A friend had to leave a concert once because beer sales went over the 51% limit.

Second is the 30.05(rare) and 30.06 (most common) sign. It reads
"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06,PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

Any other signs are not legally binding to prohibit a CHL from carrying but if asked to leave I would have to or face trespass charges.

The Movie Tavern (restaurant/bar/movie combo) does not legally post and neither does the Rave Motion Picture Chain. Those are the two that we've gone to so far. The AMC movie chain I believe does post legally....although it is very difficult to see. I haven't been back to it since I found out they don't want to support our rights.


James, thanks for the link Sir. Greatly appreciated

Anonymous said...

Tennessee has binding signs, too, in the form of: " Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of the property as well as within the confines of a building located on the property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).
"

Honestly, I have never seen a single one.

The local movie theater has the standard gun-buster logo on their doors, but since they have $3.50 first-matinee-of-the-day prices, I still go periodically... wearing as much pro-rights clothing as I can :).