This is one of the "fun" days for the Scouts....and also for the Scouters. I'll post pictures of the canoeing, kayaking, sailing and water skiing we did at another time.
For now, I hope you like this tranquil scene as much as I did. I was up early, before everyone else. The camp was still and quiet, the weather was mild (for Texas in August), and the lake was empty. Moments like that were one of the reasons I enjoyed camping with the Scouts.
(p.s. Anyone who hasn't stopped by Random Acts of Patriotism to catch up on his awesome Scout series, please do so now.
5 comments:
Another great picture, I'll be watching for more.
You really started something. I don't know how good it is, I could certainly stand to take more time editing, but it just pours out when I sit down at the keyboard. Thanks for the push.
ASM826
ASM826,
I would push you a little farther if I could. Have you thought about submitting those posts (slightly expanded) for publication?
Honestly, the depth of experience you bring to Scouting and how you've used it, how it taught you is something that new Scouters should read. There is a magazine for just Scouters, you've probably had a subscription.
Those posts are fantastic, you paint a very evocative word picture with few words.
Thanks for helping me to remember the good parts of Scouting and not just dwell on the long days, the frustrations. Much appreciated.
It is amazing how many former Scouts and Scouters are coming out of the wood work since you started those posts.
Yes, the frustrations are part of the story too, aren't they?
Because Scouters give up weekends, and go to training sessions, and spend hours thinking about and planning Scout events.
I remember when I took over as Scoutmaster, how much time and effort it took. I will have to address that when I get to that part of the story.
Each of the stories could be expanded, writing for blog posts, I am trying to keep them short. I wonder if it could be published, like a monthly serial?
ASM,
I would contact the editors of the Scouter magazine.
I read a large amount but I'm no editor so take what I say with a grain of salt. But honestly, I think they are worth publishing.
Keep up the great work.
I just put one up. I had originally written it about 5 years ago for a college class where the assignment was to "write about an event that happened to you when you were young that had a profound influence on you". I edited it a bit, to better connect it to the series yesterday, and opened it, read it one more time, and put it up. Now I'm going to head into something more lighthearted.
Post a Comment